Saturday, January 10, 2009

Country Killed the Radio Star

Let me start by saying that I like some country music. I own CDs by Pasty Cline, Johnny Cash and even the Dixie Chicks. My first concert at age 5 was Alabama. But I like other types of music, too, and that's where the problem comes in when you're living in West Tennessee. It's not that it's impossible to find other types of music, but there's a strange phenomenon on any channel that's not playing country—the playlists are incomprehensible. 

When I've had my fill of country songs, or they've played too many selections from the overproduced, poppy newcomers, I turn the dial for an alternative. What happens more often than not is that once I've passed over at least four more country stations and a few religious channels, I'll land on a song I like. Last night I found Aaron Neville's "Tell it Like it Is" and stopped to listen. Next up: Devo's Whip It. I like Devo as much as anyone else who grew up in the 80s, but following the mellow crooning on Neville? OK, well, at least I could keep the dial in place. But the next song was some sort of doo-wap number. Doo-wap after Devo? And so the search started again. 

Rather than have stations or even time slots devoted to a particular musical genre, they just try and cram everything that's not country into one station. The rock stations aren't any better. There's a lot of Skynard and Led Zeppelin, but they mix it up with Nickelback and other whiny new "rock" that I can't stomach. 

Satellite radio here we come!

 

1 comment:

  1. Hi guys! I love this. It's absolutely fascinating. The camo slippers and chair were hilarious. Mainly I'm just worried about you, but if you keep blogging about how nice people are then I won't worry as much, LOL.

    love,
    -emily :o)

    ReplyDelete