Sunday, January 25, 2009

Crushing Like a Schoolgirl

We finally took everyone's advice and went to church today. And, lo and behold, we actually met some potential friends. And boy do they have potential! They are around our age, college-educated, have no children but do have a dog—an energetic lab, who would be the perfect playmate for our Jojo. 

I feel like a schoolgirl with a crush. These people are perfect for us! 

The church wasn't so bad either. I'm not sure why they have their only service at 9 a.m. (one of the reasons it took us so long to finally decide to go), but the people were pleasant and not pushy. I did not, as I have on other occasions, worry that it was just a matter of time before they took me in the back room, vacuumed out my brains and emptied my wallet. Instead, I felt welcome.

I did find myself flipping wildly from the hymnal to the Book of Common Prayer and back again,  but overall, I felt good about the experience. Nobody looked at us twice when we didn't go up for communion, although technically, as baptizees of other denominations, we are welcome to the table. 

We also discovered that they are looking for choir members. 

I haven't sung in a choir since I was 18 but have thought about joining one many times in my adult life. I do love to sing, and most people would agree that it's better if I do so in a group. Ooh, but do choir members have to get to church early? Of course it probably would be a good thing to have just one more motivation to get up early on a Sunday and drive the 35 minutes. 

So much to consider. Puppy play dates and prayer circles. This definitely is a different life than the one we left, but having companions does make it seem so much more exciting.

I am enthralled with the idea of this new couple, whom I've already decided must become our very best friends in the whole world. OK, dial down the crazy a notch. I don't want to scare them away. 

But, I just didn't even imagine that we'd find another couple so much like us. 

Is it OK to call tomorrow? Or should we wait a few days? 

   


No comments:

Post a Comment